Dr Chandani Kharel has been working in the Nepal health sector as a certified medical doctor since 2001, as a certified specialist (Dermatology, STDs & Leprosy) since 2007 and as a public health professional since 2016. She has significant experience in capacity development of medical graduates and postgraduate doctors while working in various medical colleges in the country as well as teaching nurses and other health workers.
She has experience of doing clinical research using quantitative methods as well as conducting qualitative research. She has been contributing in proposal writing, developing tools, conducting literature reviews, data analysis through statistical software and report writing. Within qualitative research methods, she has been conducting in-depth interviews and facilitating focus group discussions.
2016 – Master of Public Health (Health Systems Management & Policy), Institute of Tropical Medicine, Belgium
2007- M.D (Dermatology & STD), B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
2000- M.B.B.S, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India
Work undertaken that best illustrates capability to handle the tasks assigned
Consultant, HERD International, Dec 2016- May 2016
Combating non-communicable disease in Asia by engaging Community Health Workers in the management and prevention efforts: Strategies, approaches and practice (The COACH Study): She has been the lead researcher in conducting literature review along with quantitative research for this study. She was involved in contextualizing the pre-existing tools and carried out Focus group discussions and Key informant interviews with various health cadres at the community health centres. She was responsible for the synthesis of these exploratory studies and writing the report.
Consultant, Options Consultancy Services Ltd, Dec 2016- March 2017
Assessment of “Aama and Newborn Surakshya Programme” in Private Facilities in Nepal
She was involved in revising the existing qualitative tools, conducting Key informant interviews with health workers and panel discussion with various stakeholders. She contributed to the analysis of the data and synthesis of the report.
- Pyoderma Gangrenosum: A clinico-therapeutic profile of patients attending a tertiary care hospital in Nepal. Journal of College of Medical Sciences – Nepal, 2012,Vol 8, No-1, 29-35.
- Socoieconomic and nutritional status of children with pyodermas. NJDVL,2012, Vol 11, No 1, 1-5.
- A retrospective analysis of Sweet's syndrome in a tertiary care hospital in Nepal: A BPKIHS perspective. Journal of College of Medical Sciences – Nepal, 2011,Vol 7, No-3, 17-23.
- Dermatological problems in geriatric patients,a hospital based study. Nepal Med Coll J 2012; 14(3): 193-195.
- Genital Hailey- Hailey disease: A case report. Our Dermatol Online. 2013; 4(1): 87-88.
POST GRADUATE RESEARCH WORK
- Does Social Health Security Programme address the health care seeking behavior of Nepalese Population? 2016
Author: Chandani Kharel
- Clinico-Bacteriological Profile of Pyoderma in Children, 2007
Author: Chandani Kharel