Public health researcher with 7 years of research experience in the sector of health, particularly in operations research, monitoring and evaluation studies with wider understanding of evaluation methods. Led and managed several research projects including national level surveillance study and has experience in designing and managing large scale surveys. Area of expertise also include undertaking desk based literature review including systematic review with knowledge of critical appraisal techniques. Works as Monitoring and Evaluation Manager at HERD International and is a member of Senior Management Team.
Master of Public Health (MPH), University of Sheffield, UK [Merit] January, 2013
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH), Pokhara University, Nepal [Distinction] October, 2009
Work undertaken that best illustrates capability to handle the tasks assigned
- Factors affecting stock-out of essential medicines in government health facilities of Nepal: National level study (June 2018-Aug 2019), funded by USAID. Role: Overall management with leadership in study design, tools design, data analysis and report writing of this large scale study that applies both qualitative and quantitative methods reaching out to 275 health facilities from all 7 provinces of the country.
- Improving access to Diabetes Care in Nepal: 3-year project (May 2016-February 2019) funded by World Diabetes Foundation, Denmark. Role: Project management; implementing diabetes care interventions in 2 earthquake affected districts, assessment of the effectiveness of interventions, analyzing data and writing reports.
- Survey for urban equity (SUE): Team member in two-year mixed methods research study (April 2017-March 2019), funded by Medical Research Council, UK, which involved use of novel methods in sampling, mapping, enumeration and visualization of data to assess mental health and injuries and using data to address urban inequities. Role: Leading qualitative aspect of the study, generating evidence using qualitative research techniques including participatory approaches, coding and analyzing data, writing reports and papers for publications in peer reviewed journals in collaboration with University of Leeds (UK) and other project partners.
- Tobacco cessation within TB programs-A randomized controlled trial: Team member in this multi-country (trial component is not being implemented in Nepal), intervention study (Nov 2016-Dec 2019) funded by European Commission, Primary recipient University of York, UK. Role: monitoring study activities, analyzing data and drafting publications.
- Strengthening implementation of Multi-sector Nutrition Plan (MSNP): Monitoring and Evaluation Manager for this national project (Mid 2016-June 2018) implemented in 28 districts, funded by UNICEF. Role: Overall monitoring and evaluation, tracking progress against set targets, designing indicators for evaluation of activities for all 7 different concerned ministries, analyzing data and developing periodic technical reports.
- National Nutrition Sentinel Based Surveillance: Led the surveillance study (mid 2016-December 2017), conducted for Child Health Division, Ministry of Health, funded by UNICEF and piloted in 2 districts. Role: Overall study design and implementation - designed study methodology, surveillance tools, recruited and trained researchers and oriented district health facilities team, organized workshops with GoN, analyzed data, and prepared report.
- Strengthening National Family Planning Program: Two-year project on monitoring and evaluation of 3 family planning interventions in Nepal (mid-2014 to mid-2016) funded by DFID and USAID. Role: Managed 3 evaluation studies - designed evaluation plans, developed evaluation indicators and tools, managed data collection, analysis and developed evaluation reports. Led one and supported three literature reviews to identify gaps and barriers in utilization of FP services among young people, Muslim communities, urban poor and migrants couples.
- Management support for the Government of Nepal’s national Joint Annual Review (JAR) meeting: Supported organization and management of meetings reviewing national health plans and programs including those supported by external development partners in 2015 and 2016.
- Study and relief support in emergencies: Active involvement in relief support and implementation of Rapid Structural Assessment of Schools in the aftermath of 2015 earthquake in 11 hard-hit districts of Nepal. Roles involved planning of the assessment process, conducting training to researchers, coordination and management of logistics, monitoring and supervision, data analysis and report writing.
Key reports and publications
- Mirzoev T., Poudel A.N., Gissing S.C., Doan D.T., Ferdous T., Regmi S., et al. 2019. Is evidence-informed urban health planning a myth or a reality? Lessons from a qualitative assessment in three Asian cities. Health Policy and Planning 2019.
- Puri M., Regmi S., Tamang A and Shrestha P. Road map to scaling-up: translating operations research study’s results into actions for expanding medical abortion services in rural health facilities in Nepal. Health Research Policy and Systems 2014, 12:24.
- Regmi S., Rajbanshi S., Khimbanjar S., Subedi HN, Baral S. Nutrition Sentinel Based Surveillance: Piloting in Achham and Kapilvastu districts of Nepal. Phase I Report. Nepal: Ministry of Health, Child Health Division, European Union, HERD International and UNICEF Nepal. Final Report, 2017.
- Regmi S., Martinez J., Mahmood A., Joshi D., Giri S., Panta A., Baral SC. Mobilising Visiting Providers to expand access to Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC) in Ramechhap district, Nepal. Evaluation Report. HERD International and Mott MacDonald Ltd. Final report, 2016.
- Regmi S., Martinez J., Mahmood A., Giri S., Panta A., Baral SC. Expanding the range of family planning services through comprehensive VSC events (VSC+) in Baitadi and Darchula districts, Nepal. Evaluation Report. HERD International and Mott MacDonald Ltd. Final report, 2016.
- Regmi S., Baral SC., Khanal S. Understanding gaps and barriers in access to and use of family planning services by young people in Nepal: a review of literature. HERD International and Mott MacDonald Ltd. Final report, 2016.